For a long time now I have been trying to reject the fact that i really need to buy new FPV goggles. My current ones are low resolution and only have 8 channels but they still work, making it hard to justify spending ludicrous amounts of money replacing them. The only real extra features to be found on newer models is that they have external receivers allowing you to install custom diversity modules that support more channels.
I thought to myself . . .why cant i just add these features to my current goggles. So i created the Diy FatShark Diversity.
For electronics hardware i purchased a cheep diversity diversity reciever from banggood ( http://www.banggood.com/DIY-RX5808-5_8G-40CH-Diversity-FPV-Receiver-with-OLED-Display-for-FPV-Racer-Quad-p-1051163.html ) .
This is based off of the fantastic rx5808-pro-diversity project by Sheaivey on github ( https://github.com/sheaivey/rx5808-pro-diversity ).
I then set about designing an enclosure to house this that would conform to my current goggles. I have recently been experimenting with using Fusion360 to design parts ( you can get a full featured version for free as a hobbyist). I decided that would be my first serious project in Fusion360. i managed to come up with the following result in just 2 evenings. renders were done using the inbuilt rendering tools.
I printed this part on a FormLabs “Form 1” SLA 3D Printer in clear resin.
This required a small amount of cleanup to remove print supports but overall i was pleased with print quality.
Assembly was relatively straight forward, only requiring a small amount of manual filing around the antenna holes as the board must be inserted at an angle before being able to lie flat.
The unit is powered from the balance port on the goggles and uses the aux jack on the goggles to provide video, this mean that the goggles remain unmodified if i ever want to sell them.
These new goggles now have all the channels supported by newer models but also have diversity and frequency scanning capability which is not even avalable on the most expensive stock goggles.
Hopefully these upgrades will help me reject the fact that i need to upgrade for a little longer.
Files can be found on my Thingiverse at http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1658524
after recently building my first 250 sized FPV quadcopter i decided it was time to add some FPV gear. As i was rebuilding, i might as well upgrade the frame and have a tidy at the same time. Results below.
At this point I went for a full system power up test, the first since completing wireing ESC’s. At this point every single component is connected to the main battery connector for power.
The keen eyed amongst you will have noticed that the XT60 in this picture is wired backwards. I quickly realised this as I connected my 2200mAh nanotech. There was a huge spark and a lot of smoke. Suddenly that sinking feeling.
At this point I realised that there was a large possibility that I may have KILLED EVERYTHING. I quickly unplugged everything and reversed the connector. I then began plugging components in one by one to see what was left. I have never been so happy to hear my ESC’s arming. Same with Naze connecting to cleanflight, then video came back.
For some reason it seams that the gods took pity on me and remarkably everything survived. I don’t know how but im not complaining. Could easily have been a very expensive mistake and all the previous time spent rebuilding would have been waited.
The lesson here, DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING, also TEST COMPONENTS ONE AT A TIME !
425 grams all in without battery as before. 50 grams lighter and a lot more power. To reduce weight more in future I may swap to a smaller FPV cam and reduce the red stand-off’s bringing the top plate down to just above the receiver. could also swap to nylon hardware but im not sure its necessary.
For a future project I need to build a completely waterproof brushless motor. Before I start at the deep-end I decided it would be best to make a smaller motor to get a better understanding of how brushless motors work. I ordered a few stators and a kit from gobrushless.com.
The motor has a 9 pole stator (3 poles per phase, 3 phases) and 12 neodymium magnets in the outer ring.
I wound each phase a different colour so that it was easier to follow what I was doing. the phases are joined together in the wye winding style.
Now to test it out:
I am currently in the process of creating a new blog / project site so that i can begin to document all of the work that i do and projects that i get involved with. This place may seem empty at the moment but please keep checking back for updates, it may take some time to move content over from my old site.