Archive | Multicopter RSS for this section

Quadcopter Hyperlapse V2

Hyperlapse style video of a Quadcopter flight recorded with only a mobius action-cam.

The video is 6x faster than the original footage and has been De-fisheyed. To keep the video smooth it was run through through “deshaker” plugin for virtual dub before speeding it up. The output was rendered at 1080P 60FPS resulting in a 33GB uncompressed file with 360MB/s data rate.

The artifacts and borders at points in the video are a result of the warping that occurs during smoothing of the original video. some of the borders are then filled with image data from past and future frames by deshaker.

Due to the increased speed the original audio could not be used so was removed. I replaced this with YouTube music but its not great so feel free to mute.

Advertisements

250 Quadcopter

after recently building my first 250 sized FPV quadcopter i decided it was time to add some FPV gear. As i was rebuilding, i might as well upgrade the frame and have a tidy at the same time. Results below.
12 - Side Finished

Before FPV and New Frame.
02 - HK250

Old Mess.
04 - Oh god the wires

New Parts : ZMR250 frame (Real Carbon Fiber), Cobra 2204 2300Kv motors, and other parts taken from the HK250
05 - New Parts

ESC’s stripped,
2mm bullet connectors removed,
motor cables braided,
motors connected and directions tested.
06 - Laying out parts

Power cables finalised,
ESC’s re heat-shrunk,
07 - Under fame complete

Naze, receiver, Fpv cam and video TX all placed and wired in.
10 - Big TIFU Moment

At this point I went for a full system power up test, the first since completing wireing ESC’s. At this point every single component is connected to the main battery connector for power.

The keen eyed amongst you will have noticed that the XT60 in this picture is wired backwards. I quickly realised this as I connected my 2200mAh nanotech. There was a huge spark and a lot of smoke. Suddenly that sinking feeling.

At this point I realised that there was a large possibility that I may have KILLED EVERYTHING. I quickly unplugged everything and reversed the connector. I then began plugging components in one by one to see what was left. I have never been so happy to hear my ESC’s arming. Same with Naze connecting to cleanflight, then video came back.

For some reason it seams that the gods took pity on me and remarkably everything survived. I don’t know how but im not complaining. Could easily have been a very expensive mistake and all the previous time spent rebuilding would have been waited.

The lesson here, DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING, also TEST COMPONENTS ONE AT A TIME !

Finished Result:
11 - Front Finished

Im pleased with how this turned out. Far more manageable than before. Next job : Adding Led’s, however this can wait till another day.
01 - ZMR250 So Tidy

425 grams all in without battery as before. 50 grams lighter and a lot more power. To reduce weight more in future I may swap to a smaller FPV cam and reduce the red stand-off’s bringing the top plate down to just above the receiver. could also swap to nylon hardware but im not sure its necessary.
13 - Weight