after recently building my first 250 sized FPV quadcopter i decided it was time to add some FPV gear. As i was rebuilding, i might as well upgrade the frame and have a tidy at the same time. Results below.
At this point I went for a full system power up test, the first since completing wireing ESC’s. At this point every single component is connected to the main battery connector for power.
The keen eyed amongst you will have noticed that the XT60 in this picture is wired backwards. I quickly realised this as I connected my 2200mAh nanotech. There was a huge spark and a lot of smoke. Suddenly that sinking feeling.
At this point I realised that there was a large possibility that I may have KILLED EVERYTHING. I quickly unplugged everything and reversed the connector. I then began plugging components in one by one to see what was left. I have never been so happy to hear my ESC’s arming. Same with Naze connecting to cleanflight, then video came back.
For some reason it seams that the gods took pity on me and remarkably everything survived. I don’t know how but im not complaining. Could easily have been a very expensive mistake and all the previous time spent rebuilding would have been waited.
The lesson here, DOUBLE CHECK EVERYTHING, also TEST COMPONENTS ONE AT A TIME !
425 grams all in without battery as before. 50 grams lighter and a lot more power. To reduce weight more in future I may swap to a smaller FPV cam and reduce the red stand-off’s bringing the top plate down to just above the receiver. could also swap to nylon hardware but im not sure its necessary.