Archive | December 2012

IT’S ALIVE!!!

Servo controller arrived today so I managed to get the hexapod standing all by its self. Its not great but there’s a video for anyone that’s interested 😛

Advertisements

2/3 of a hexapod

On Friday i decided to start designing a rough chassis for the hexapod. I only wanted something quick so that i would have something to test with then my controller arrived. I was able to design and laser cut these parts within only a couple of hours.

fresh out the laser cutter

The parts came out really nice for a quick prototype and also cost less than £1 in material.

This morning i had time to finish assembling the parts and attaching the servo’s (the ones that i have anyway). I have already found things i want to change in the next version but that was kind of the point of this. having a prototype to test with allows me to make more informed decisions about the final design. I am very pleased with how this has turned out and cant wait to get controller and servos for the other 2 legs.

Printrbot PSU upgrade

The place that I work often throw things away that are useless to them, however this does not mean that they useless things.Being a student on tight budget you learn that it would be pointless to waste nice things that get thrown out. This week I managed to pick up a 350W ATX powersuply.

My printrbot came with a 250w psu so this would make a nice upgrade. Because the new one cost nothing i can hack/mod it without feeling to bad if I break it. The original powersupply had ALL the cables you would usually find inside a computer, as 90% of these were not needed they ended up just getting in the way. the printrbot also requires a link inserted in the powersuply to turn on, this link often comes loose and I don’t trust it during long prints.

After opening the supply I cut out all unnecessary cables then de-soldered the loose ends from the PCB.  I wired the start-up line to ground so that the unit is always on then bradded the power cable to tidy it up. As it runs very quietly I also decided to add a small red led strip inside so that I can see when its on.I have also found that the printrbot cable management is not great and the bed often catches trailing cables from the extruder. Messy cables annoy me and I decided to fix this. I bradded all cables that go to the extruder as well as the x stepper cables and bed cables.

Happy with today’s work I can now relax knowing that Sunday has not been wasted.

Hexapod Parts

This year I am on placement at the Bristol Robotics Lab and I am doing a project involving a Hexapod. As nearly all hexapod kits are extravagantly expensive I have decided to build my own to best suit my project. I was very happy Today to find that the first 12 of my  AX-12A robotics servos have arrived 🙂 shame there are 6 and the controller missing however i guess at least i can start measuring up and designing now.

image

Line follower update

just a quick update to show you guys that I got my line follower working.

its still early days and at the moment this only uses 2 analogue sensors however it is very promising. The robot can go allot faster but the wheels that I am currently using don’t have much grip. also printed a new chassis with more reliable motor mounts however its to nose heavy so I may change it again soon.